The following is a match report from  Click on the link to be directed to the orginal post.

Click here for photos from the game.


“Derg Squeeze Past Red Knights In a Thriller”

“A large and expectant crowd turned up at Garvaghey on Thursday evening in anticipation of another exciting and “close encounter of the second kind” between Beragh and Castlederg following last Sunday evening’s draw at Newtownstewart.

This time around it was Beragh who started best and who were on top throughout the first half. Oisin Donnelly, Niall Owens and Martin Rodgers were all on target for the Red Knights as they reached the break three clear. A brace of fine points from Paddy Lynch and another couple from Mark Corry allowed a disappointing Derg side to remain in touch as the first half ended 0-8 to 0-5 in favour of Enda Kilpatrick’s side.

Click here for photos from the game


Castlederg were much improved after the break in spite of going four down following a lovely score from Oisin Donnelly four minutes after the restart. Midway through the half a Martin Rodgers free ignited something within the Castlederg side and they hit a purple patch between the 51st and 55th minutes to leave the minimum between them after Corry converted three placed balls.


With the clock showing sixty one minutes there was still a point in it in favour of Beragh but the Red Knights were clearly rattled and it was no surprise that The Derg levelled the game following a fine score from centre back Padraig Keyes.

Both sides had chances during the remainder of added time to snatch it but a lack of composure close to the goal meant the sides were tied at ten apiece when referee Simon Brady sounded the full time whistle.

These sides could not be separated on Sunday and so it proved again on Thursday. Extra time was required and what an exciting twenty plus minutes of football that proved to be.

On the restart Beragh began like a team on a mission with a nice point from Jack Campbell before Martin Rodgers stretched their lead to four following a superb individual goal. Points from Corry and Stefan Gallen kept the Derg in touch but in such a tight game it seemed that the Rodger’s goal could prove decisive.

Castlederg needed to start the second half well and less than two minutes in the game was turned on its head. A long clearance by goalkeeper Chris Catterson was knocked on by Niall Catterson in the direction of Mark Corry. The Castlederg full forward raced goal-wards from outside the forty five before unleashing a pile driver to the net. From being two down the Derg were now one in front and had momentum. Aidan Lynch returned to the action and landed a super score to help seal a hard earned but memorable 1-15 to 1-13 win for the border men who will now face Rock in the first round proper.

A great game between two very well matched teams with both deserving great credit for their efforts. Special word of praise also to the supporters who stayed behind to applaud both teams off the pitch.”


-Teamtalkmag, 2016.